Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fairness and Generosity

But he replied to one of them, 'Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what belongs to you and go. I choose to give to this last worker as I give to you.
Matthew 20:13-14 English Standard Version

I know that not all characteristics have a gene that directly correlates, but if the fairness gene is ever discovered, I bet you I will have a double set. I love to feel fairly treated, to divide as evenly as possible, to make sure that all protocols are adhered to. So when I encounter stories like this, my first instinct is to side with the it's not fair crowd.

"I don't get compensated enough for the work I do."

"My generosity is not returned by this person or that person."

"I always get the grunt work in this situation."

Blah. Blah. Blah.

But the gentle admonition of the employer catches me by surprise every time. Maybe always thinking fair is too narrow minded, missing the point. It's not always about give and take. We are commanded to give all we've got because we can take all we need from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment