Thursday, January 13, 2011

"And they laughed at Him."

And when Jesus came to the ruler’s house and saw the flute players and the crowd making a commotion, he said, "Go away, for the girl is not dead but sleeping." And they laughed at him.
Matthew 9:23-24 English Standard Version

There are few things that get my goat more than when people laugh at me, especially when they think I or what I am doing is stupid. Their ridicule severely discourages me; it causes me to question everything about who I am and what I am doing, since I am a people-pleaser at heart.

But I take courage from this verse, and they laughed at him. Obviously Jesus was doing nothing stupid, but they couldn't see that. They had no trust in God's ability to take even the saddest of ocassions and turn them to good. Often I question God when a situation goes ill. Why, God, why? And my question is more an accusation than anything else. So I guess sometimes I am the laugher, too.

Maybe instead of letting others' laughter get to me, I should take care to follow God no matter how stupid His guidance seems, and then to take full confidence in that guidance. And if they laugh at me, to remember this verse and its comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment