Friday, December 30, 2011

Does heaven negate our skills learned here on earth?

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away ...

Revelation 21:1b English Standard Version

I've always wondered in the back of my mind if all the skills I'm learning here on earth, all the "growing up" I'm doing, all the learning and training I'm doing will all be useless once I'm in heaven. Ten thousand years from now if I happen to reflect on my earth life, will it mean anything to me? Will my piano playing, my painting, my ability to organize things, my courage in the face of an embarrassing situation, my (still developing) ability to love the unlovable? If these skills are only good for the first 70 years of eternity, what's the point?

I love how in Revelation John/God makes it a point to tell us that we should expect not only a new heaven but a new earth when at the end of all days all things are made new. A new earth ... to me that means that He will remake the earth into what it was supposed to be before the whole Satan/Adam/Eve mess occurred.

Except it's gonna be even better than it was originally designed to be. If sin had never entered the picture, we'd still love God and find our joy in Him, but the full spectrum of His beauty and character would not perhaps be as real to us. No one adores mercy like those who have needed and received it. Someone who has never erred may smile and nod at the concept, but they don't have the same soul-deep appreciation for it.

So maybe our concept of Heaven and the after-life is more similar to earth than we think. It's not playing harps on clouds--I will still practice piano and in that practice continue to enjoy music more and more. We will still grow and learn in the new earth--even Jesus on the old earth had to learn (learn to walk, learn to talk, learn to place the nail just so for the hammer strike, etc.) so there is no sin or negativity in gaining knowledge and wisdom and skills--but without the sin holding us back or marring our joy.

And in that case, the sooner I learn all my skills here, the farther along I'll be when the new earth comes, so that my joy may start at an even higher level when I get there!

Or am I crazy?

Sorry this post was so long. I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment