Friday, September 30, 2011

Other interests vs. my own

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
Philippians 2:3-4 New International Version, ©2010

I used to think this verse meant that you shouldn't look to your own interests, but that you should only look out for others. As a teenager I followed this misguided interpretation whole-heartedly, even neglecting my own health, happiness and spiritual training, and in the end it did me in. Everything in life, I'm coming to find, is not black and white--rather it's a balance, a juggling of many sides. It's much harder to see the world in grey, but in the end, much more rewarding, much truer and closer to the heart of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment