Saturday, May 14, 2011

Authority, or "I Have a Better Idea"

And Samuel said,
"Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
   as in obeying the voice of the LORD?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
   and to listen than the fat of rams."
1 Samuel 15:22 English Standard Version

Authority is a tricky issue in our country--we acknowledge its value and importance but resent it when it manifests itself over us. I see this in my place of work, in my family, even among my friends. "How dare [insert name of authority figure here] not consider my idea/ tell me to do that/ hurt my feelings?"

In this story Saul sounds exactly like a modern-day employee: "Yeah I heard what you told me to do but I improved on it with my own idea. Great, huh?"

Authority is authority--you either obey or completely disregard (i.e. treat them as having no authority). There is no in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment